Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Do we really want change?

The word from the candidates this election cycle is change. All of them say they will change Washington.

If you believe them, you're a sucker. Change is hard, and no one really wants change if it affects them, only if it doesn't.

Example 1: Everyone hates lobbyists. Get rid of them. But then how do you tell your legislator what you want? You can write to them, or call. But eventually, you'll want someone who has a better connection to push your point. Or you get busy. So then you (or the organization you support) hires -- you guessed it -- a lobbyist (or the equivalent).

Example 2: Reduce government spending. no one wants to pay more taxes. Heck! I want to pay less taxes. But one man's boondoggle is another man's necessity. It might be the difference between some people getting new road surfaces and others not, or everyone get patched potholes. I don't know about you, but I want my legislator to fight for the new road surface.

Frankly, I don't trust anyone who holds Washington and the system in such contempt. After all, the President (usually) does not operate in a vacuum. He has to compromise if anything is to get done. I want someone who knows how to work the system and the things that I elected him/her for happen.

No comments: