Thursday, April 17, 2008

Locks of Love

I've decided to give a try to growing out my hair and giving it to Locks of Love.

Now let me preface this by saying that I have never had my hair over my collar, so growing a 10-inch ponytail is quite a change.

But hell, I am 46 and I still have a great head of thick hair, only a little gray here and there, and I mostly work from home and my hair is not going to get any better. So why not? It will be a change, and I can be a bit of a rebel for once.

I went to the LoL website to see what was up. COntrary to popular belief, most of the kids getting wigs from LoL do not have Cancer, but rather have Alopecia Areata (sp?) - which is a disease where the body's white cells attack the hair follicles and cause hair loss.

Imagine being a kid or a teen and having all those body image issues and then losing all your hair. Devastating! I know that my daughter who has tons of lovely hair is always fussing with hers, and if she lost it, I would do whatever I could to make her comfortable.

So I am going for it. We'll see if I can really make this happen - I am in the annoying hair length now.

No comments: