Monday, August 26, 2013

Elementary OS - a new operating system

Interesting... I got all excited about the Elementary OS Linux Distribution release, but tried to install it on 2 different Machine (a Dell and an HP) and neither one worked properly, for different reasons.

I finally decided to try Linux Mint (it had been a while since I installed it on a computer) and I was pleasantly surprised. I started using it with the MATE desktop, but moved over to the Cinnamon desktop because it had more flexibility. It also uses a bit more horsepower, I think, but I like the extra desktop applets. Here's a quick video comparing Mate vs. Cinnamon - yes, I know the reviewer has a weird voice... but at least he made a video.

Has anyone else installed Elementary OS and had success? It's very pretty, and I hear it is fast, but I just couldn't get a solid install.

No comments: