Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Insights on my Natick Nutcracker Odyssey



Folks have been asking me what I learned seeing all the Nutcrackers that I saw. Well, I have a few insights that I'd like to share.

There's something for everyone

What was most striking about seeing all the Nutcrackers was how different they all were. Each had it's own personality based on the emphasis of the school and the types of students they enrolled. For example, schools with young dancers had to have a more loosie-goosey Nutcracker which incorporates the youngest dancers as mice and soldiers and angels, etc.

That said, there's a performance for every taste.

So here's the skinny on the performances:

  1. Walnut Hill School for the Arts - this is a performing arts school with middle school and high school students. No little ones. This is a very polished and traditional Nutcracker. Perfect if you want that "Downtown Nutcracker" experience. My visit to the Walnut Hill Nutcracker.
  2. Mass Ballet Dance School - this is a big school with students ranging from High school to pre-K. Lots of little mice and angels and polinchinelles running around. Good choice if you have children who want to see other little kids performing or if you want to inspire your little dancer to join a school. This is a BIG CAST performance and well done. My visit to the Mass Ballet Nutcracker.
  3. Broadway Bound - this is a medium dance school that apparently emphasizes competitions. Although the program looks like it follows the standard Nutcracker story, the dances are not all ballet, but rather incorporate jazzy numbers, tap and even modern choreography. This is a very entertaining and high energy performance, but not really a traditional Nutcracker. Think more Rockettes and less Balanchine. Great option for children who might be turned off by "classical music" - although I encourage exposure to many types of music. My visit to the Broadway Bound Nutcracker.
  4. Greater Boston School of Dance (GBSD) - this is a small dance school of which I knew nothing. However, this was the performance that surprised and enchanted me the most. Since this school doesn't have any male dancers, they had a female Nutcracker in a red soldier tutu, and even had the Mouse King (queen?) in a striking black and white tutu. Clara also danced more in this one than in most. Except for the aforementioned changes, this was a fairly traditional story. A good choice for someone who wants to see a traditional Nutcracker with a twist. My visit to the Greater Boston School of Dance Nutcracker.
This was an enjoyable exercise and a good opportunity to support our Natick youth in their efforts off the playing field. I'm not sure if I'm going to do this again next year, as it's a not-insignificant expenditure at Christmas-time, but I'm glad I did it.

If any organization wants to comp me tickets to their performances, I'd be glad to write about them.

Keep these recommendations in mind, and you're sure to find the Nutcracker that's right for you next year.

Until then, Ho-ho-ho!

No comments: