Monday, October 27, 2008

Jury Duty - Part 1

I have been recently called to jury duty. My first thought was, "Ugh! What a drag!" But as I thought of it a little more, I realized that this is my responsibility to our republic and our Constitution.

I mean after all, we are coming out of the shadows of the Bush administration, where the executive branch has made a huge grab for power, and had tried to ignore the legislative branch as much as possible. This is what happens when people elect someone who is so stupid and incurious as to not be able to understand or investigate our own system of government. And Palin is another one - she cannot even name a few Supreme Court decisions that she thought were bad. HELLO! Ever hear of Plessy vs. Ferguson... Dredd Scott? Sheesh! What a frickin' idiot!

But I digress.

What other branch of government lets the People share the basic power of their position? I don't hear the Executive Branch saying, "Hey you, come on over and tell me what to do about the budget." I don't hear the Legislative Branch say, "Hey you, come on over and tell me how to vote directly." But the Judicial Branch says, "Hey you, come on over and make the decisions for us. We will provider some guidelines, and make the decision on punishment, but the actual decision of guilt or innocence is up to you." That' s some pretty heady shit there.

So I did not try to weasel out too much, and I was pleased to get in on a short trial - a couple of days.

More on the duty, next time.

No comments: