Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Crappy Cinemas

So I went to the cinema for the first time in months. Now I know why the Film industry is having problems. Some of it is DVDs and large screens, but part of it is that they do not know what they are doing.

First, the tickets are outrageous - over $10 to see the movie. 2 kids and me - $30+

The concessions are way overpriced - I think it might be cheaper to buy stuff at an airport... $20+

Oh, and did I mention that the lobby was a pigsty? Crussed popcorn and spilled soda all over the floor. Now they ahve "self serve popcorn butter station" - I steered clear of that slimy area - both for health (butter, year right!) and sanitation reasons - it looked like an oil tanker had holed its hull there.

Things were not much better in the screening room. The print was scratched, the projection illumination was too bright, washing out hte colors and creating bloom in the bright areas. Plus people were talking like they were in their living room - hey! If you want to talk, rent it at home.

I asked for my money back... and got it.

That cinema will not be getting my patronage any more. If the cinema industry wants to survive, they will need to do a better job than that. And if we want a better experience, we need to ask for it.

No comments: