Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Last night I saw Slumdog Millionaire.

What can I add? It was a wonderful movie. At some parts, it was hard to watch - there were scenes of grinding poverty and abuse, but in the end, it was incredible.

As you know, both my children are adopted from India, so the scenes there of the underside of India and of the orphans were at times heart-stoppingly touching. Sometimes I wonder where my kids woul dbe today if they were not part of my family.

Back to Slumdog. There were levels of depth that I did not expect from the movie. Fraternal conflict, unrequited love, gangsters, scenes of religious strife. Not enough dancing, however.

The music was nice too. Very modern Indian pop - a mix of Bhangra, rap and techno.

The print was bad and the projection was terrible, and the concession area was a pigsty, but that is another blog.

If you can handle the scenes of poverty, then I recommend Slumdog Millionaire - you won't be able to forget it.

No comments: