Saturday, November 22, 2008

Lacrosse - the great sport

Is there any sport out there better than lacrosse? I doubt it.

Lax is faster than football, more physical than basketball, and less boring than baseball. I mean seriously, what can be better than a stick, a ball and a helmet? Nothing.

I did not have lax when I was little - the only time I saw a lax stick was in the encyclopedia. It was that strange Northern sport that all the private school kids played - and Native Americans.

Somehow, I got my son into lax, and he really has enjoyed it. So have I. There is hardly a better way to spend a Spring day than pacing the sidelines watching Natick put the hurt on another town (hopefully).

Nowadays, we have indoor lacrosse and Fall lacrosse - which my son plays, but not going too nuts on it. Don't want to burn him out, you know, it should still be fun.

While lax is growing leaps and bounds in popularity, it is still small enough in many towns that a kid can pick it up in middle school or high school.

So I recommend giving lax a try - scrounge some equipment. Grab a stick and go out and give it a toss. It's a blast.

No comments: