Monday, August 25, 2008

Clever TV - Word Girl

If you are about my age, you grew up watching Rocky and Bullwinkle - a very funny cartoon that had jokes for the kids and the adults. I still love to watch it.

But there has not been a lot nowadays that has filled that same void - humor for kids and adults.

Until now.

A new contender for the all-humor crown has sprung up from an unlikely place - PBSKids. The new show is Word Girl. It actually teaches kids vocabulary, but in a funny way, and I love all the jokes that I know the kids don't get.

For example, WG introduced the word "coincidence" by having Prof. Two-Brains (he accidentally fused a mouse brain to his brain, so now he steals cheese - and the mouse brain is just kind of stuck on the side of his head to give that gross-out factor that kids love) break out of prison on the day that an exhibit of ancient cheese was opening at the museum of history. Who'd a thunk it? A "coincidence!"

I heard about Word Girl from on of my favorite Podcasts Grammar Girl - yes, I listen to a podcast on grammar and it is also really interesting and entertaining. More on my podcasts later.

However, if you have little kids running around the house, you have an excuse to watch Word Girl.

And even if you don't have kids running around, watch her anyway.

No comments: